taça de portugal - 2009/10



Cup-holders FC Porto were odds-on favourites to win the Taça de Portugal Final in front of 25,000 at the National Stadium on Sunday; they were up against a team, Desportivo de Chaves , who have just been relegated from the Liga de Honra to the third tier. But a second-gear Porto were ultimately worried by a spirited, if fatally limited, Chaves.

It looked like Chaves would try to confront Porto toe-to-toe from the off. Their best player, the diminutive forward Edu, won the ball in an edge-of-the-box one-on-one against Helton on eight minutes, but saw the ball bounce back off the post. It was Chaves' big chance to cause an upset, a dream which began to dissolve on 12 minutes when Chaves' midfield gifted Guarín a ball; the Colmbian international took it on and clipped it low past the right hand of Rui Rêgo, who might have done more to stop it. Hulk had various chances in the first half to extend Porto's lead, but it was his assist, after being put through by Belluschi, that allowed Falcao a simple tap in to make it 2-0. Falcao missed a similar sitter on the stroke of half-time, fed by Guarín. Before that, Chaves had had the ball in the net from Siaka Bamba, but the Ivory Coast midfielder had handled the ball beforehand and the 'goal' was disallowed.

Porto were coasting in the second half in the stifling May heat, but might have breathed easier if Miguel Lopes' shot had been a little lower and had not bounced off the bar on 54 minutes. With Porto taking it easy, Chaves began to construct some play, and the entrance of Clemente for Diop swung things their way: on 85 minutes, he pounced on a piece of weak defending by Bruno Alves and knocked the ball through Helton's legs to reduce the deficit. But it was a little too late for Chaves to sustain any pressure, and with Porto playing for time, the end result was inevitable; the 2-1 scoreline remained, despite red cards in added time for Ricardo Rocha and Bruno Alves, both for a second yellow.

It was Porto's 15th Taça, equalling Sorting's record. Benfica have 24.

Desportivo de Chaves: Rui Rêgo, Danilo, Lameirão, Ricardo Rocha, Eduardo, Siaka Bamba, Bruno Magalhães, Samson (Diego 61), Castanheira (Flávio Igor 61), Edu, Diop (Clemente 79).

FC Porto: Helton, Miguel Lopes (Cristian Rodriguez 62), Rolando, Bruno Alves, Álvaro Pereira, Fernando, Raul Meireles (Tomás Costa 46), Guarin (Valeri 72), Belluschi, Hulk, Falcao.


FC Porto are through to the Final of the Taça de Portugal after thumping Rio Ave 4-0 at the Dragão on Wednesday. Porto went into the match with what looked like an unassailable 3-1 advantage from the first leg. If it was a tall order for Rio Ave to pull back three goals away, it would have needed a miracle after 19 minutes when Belluschi curled a free-kick into the top left hand corner, with Carlos watching on. But it was only when Porto brought on Hulk, Falcao and Guarín, that they found the net again. On 70 minutes, Guarín unleashed a belter from a full 30 metres that flew into the net. Rúben Micael was on the edge of the box to crack home a loose ball on 85 minutes. And on the stroke of time, Falcao rose to head past Carlos from a cross by Valeri.

Porto will meet Liga de Honra side Chaves in the Final on 16 May.

FC Porto: Beto, Fucile, Maicon, Bruno Alves, Addy, Fernando (Guarín 79), Valeri, Belluschi, Rúben Micael, Orlando Sá (Hulk 63), Farias (Falcão 63).

Rio Ave: Carlos, Zé Gomes, André Vilas Boas, Fábio Faria, Sílvio, Ricardo Chaves (Tiago Terroso 84), Adriano (Tarantini 46), Wires, Bruno Gama, Sidnei (Evandro 68), Nélson Oliveira.


Desportivo de Chaves, struggling to avoid relegation from Portugal's second tier, surprisingly beat Liga side Naval away on Tuesday (1-2) to go through to the Final of the Taça de Portugal. Chaves had taken a 1-0 lead south from the first leg of the Semi but this was cancelled out after only 15 minutes through Fábio Júnior's overhead kick. It seemed that the top-division side's quality would win the day, but Chaves held out until the final whistle to take the game to extra time. Then on 109 and 119 minutes, Chaves' hero Eduardo scored twice to take the northern club to the Final for the first time in their history.

Naval: Peiser, Carlitos, Gomis, Diego Ângelo, Daniel Cruz (Kerrouche 90), Lazaroni, Godemèche, Hauw (Davide 46), Marinho (Simplício 76), Fábio Júnior, Camora.

Desportivo de Chaves: Rui Rego, Danielo, Lameirão, Ricardo Rocha, Eduardo, Bruno Magalhães, Siaka Bamba, Castanheira (Flávio Igor 76), Samson, Clemente (Eduardo 69), Diop (Vítor Silva 63).


FC Porto will now be odds-on favourite to reach Jamor (the National Stadium) for their second successive Taça de Portugal Final after they beat Rio Ave 1-3 away on Wednesday.

It was a much stronger Porto team than of late, the players' pride possibly having been pinched by recent disasters. They were certainly worth their win, despite some bright stretches for Rio Ave, especially in the first half. In fact they had the two best chances of the first quarter of an hour, Gama shooting from the edge of the box and Zé Gomes seeing his cross deflected goalwards; on both occasions Porto's 'keeper Beto was up to the task to keep the ball out.

Then on 19 minutes, Guarín put an impeccable ball through to Falcao, his shot was parried by Carlos, the Colombian striker headed the loose ball into the heart of the area and Rúben Micael was there to knock the ball in. Rio Ave were back in it on 36 minutes, though, when the impressive Vítor Gomes laid a long ball off for striker Bruno Morães, on loan from Porto, to slice a shot in from 20 metres out. There were chances for Raul Meireles and Rúben Micael to give Porto back the lead, but Carlos always got the better of them.

Ten minutes into the second half, Porto did go back in front, with Rúben Micael chasing down a long ball on the left before teeing up Raul Meireles, who guided it low past Carlos' left hand. Bruno Morães hit the bar on 67 minutes with a cross-cum-shot, but that was the nearest Rio Ave got to responding in the second half, and 15 minutes from time, sub Miguel Lopes crossed from the right to the back post for Rúben Micael to knock the ball back across the face of the goal, with Guarín following up to head in.

Rio Ave will need a minor miracle to get past Porto in the second leg at the Dragão.

Rio Ave: Carlos, Zé Gomes, Gaspar, Fábio Faria, Sílvio, André Vilas Boas, Tarantini (Bruno Fogaça 69), Vítor Gomes, Bruno Gama (Sidnei 78), Bruno Moraes, Chidi (Nélson Oliveira 69).

F.C. Porto: Beto, Fucile, Rolando, Bruno Alves, Alvaro Pereira, Guarín, Fernando, Belluschi (Miguel Lopes 70), Raul Meireles (Tomás Costa 64), Rúben Micael, Falcao (Orlando Sá 79).


Liga de Honra (second tier) side Chaves beat top tier side Naval 1-0 in the first leg of their Taça de Portugal Semi-Final on Tuesday. A lukewarm game came to the boil in added time at the end. Naval's central defender Diego Ângelo had a goal wrongly disallowed for offside, but in the 94th minute, Ricardo Rocha headed in to give the minnows a 1-0 lead going onto the second leg. Samson, a sub for Chaves on 57 minutes, was sent off on 80 for a second yellow. It was coach Manuel Tulipa's first game in charge of the northern team.

Desportivo de Chaves: Rui Rego, Danilo, Lameirão, Ricardo Rocha, Eduardo, Bruno Magalhães, Carlos Pinto (Samson 57), Siaka Bamba, Castanheira, Clemente (Vítor Silva 66), Diop (João Fernandes 85).

Naval: Peiser, Carlitos, Gomis, Diego Ângelo, Daniel Cruz (Michel Simplício 84), Lazaroni, Godemeche (Davide 88), Alex Hauw, Camora, Bolívia (Marinho 73), Fábio Júnior.


The FPF announced on Friday the dates of the Taça de Portugal semi-finals, to be played over two legs:

First leg:

Tuesday, 23 March, 18.15:
Desportivo de Chaves v Naval

Wednesday, 24 March, 20,15
Rio Ave v FC Porto

Second leg:

Tuesday, 13 April, 20.15
Naval v Desportivo de Chaves

Wednesday, 14 April, 20:45
FC Porto v Rio Ave


FC Porto will play Rio Ave in the semi-finals of the Taça de Portugal. The first leg in Vila do Conde will be on 24 March, the second in Porto on 14 April. In the other semi, Desportivo de Chaves will meet Naval. The Final is set for 16 May at the Estádio Nacional on the outskirts of Lisbon.


Last year's beaten finalists Paços de Ferreira are out of the Taça de Portugal after going down 1-2 at home to Desportivo de Chaves on Thursday. Paços had one man extra from 36 minutes on when Bruno Magalhães was sent off, but even so could not respond to a second-tier team that were just more up for it on the night. Chaves were 2-0 ahead within ten minutes through Diop and Carlos Pinto, with an excellent free-kick. The inevitable William pulled one back for Paços on 64, but ultimately there was no turning it round.

Paços de Ferreira: Cássio, Baiano, Ricardo, Kelly (Bruno 38), Jorginho (Pizzi 18), André Leão, Leonel Olímpio, Candeias (Romeu Torres 45), Livramento, Maykon, William.

Desportivo de Chaves: Rui Rego, Danilo, Lameirão, Ricardo Rocha, Samson, Bamba, Bruno Magalhães, Castanheira, Carlos Pinto, Clemente (Karim 74), Diop (João Fernandes 45).

Chaves join FC Porto, Naval and Rio Ave in the semi-finals.


It took 18 penalties to decide the Sporting Braga v Rio Ave quarter-final Taça de Portugal tie on Wednesday, the game finishing 0-0 after 120 minutes. Braga were without key midfielders Vandinho and Mossoró, suspended for three months and three games respectively due to their part in the scuffles after the Braga v Benfica league game in October. And the team seemed to feel their absence, lacking the dynamism and cohesion of their normal performances this year. Rio Ave are a tough nut to crack this season, though, and deserved as much as their northern neighbours to go through to the semi-finals. In the penalties, it came down to the efforts of two centre-backs: veteran Gaspar calmly stroked home for Rio Ave, Peruvian Rodriguez skied his, and Braga were out.

Sporting Braga: Eduardo, Filipe Oliveira, Moisés, Rodriguez, Evaldo, Rafael Bastos (Renterías 53), Hugo Viana, Alan, Luís Aguiar, Matheus (Adriano 96), Meyong (Peña 68).

Rio Ave: Mora, Wires, Gaspar, Jefferson (Fábio Faria 46), Sílvio, Tarantini, Vilas Boas, Vítor Gomes (Evandro 105), Wesllem (Bruno Gama 80), Chidi, Sidnei.

Naval won 3-1 at second division (third tier) Pinhalnovense (played in Cova da Piedade) to join Rio Ave and FC Porto in the semis. Pinhalnovense went in front on eight minutes through Diego, and Naval only managed to turn it around in the second half: Fábio Júnior equalised on 58 minutes, Bolívia made it 2-1 on 82 and Tandia wrapped it up three minutes from time.

Pinhalnovense: Renato Mata, Pedro Caipiro (Rui Gomes 89), Santamaria (Eriksson 60), Hugo Costa, Tiago Sousa, Renato Silva, Amaro Filipe (Pedro Alves 63), Laurindo, Miguel Soares, Quinaz, Diego

Naval: Peiser, Carlitos, Gomis, Diego, Daniel Cruz (Fábio Júnior 32), Godemeche, Lazaroni, Alex (Davide 83), Bolivia, Kerrouche (Tandia 59), Camora


FC Porto knocked Sporting out of the Taça de Portugal at the quarter-final stage on Tuesday with a powerful display, Varela, Belluschi, Mariano, Falcao and Rúben Micael, making his home début, particularly impressive. They dominated from the first minute with collective football of a very high quality, leaving Sporting shell-shocked and incapable of a reaction. In that first minute, Varela came close with a header from a Belluschi free-kick, and Mariano had a shot turned round the post on 17 minutes by Rui Patrício. But the Sporting 'keeper was beaten a minute later when a Belluschi corner hit Falcao on the hip and centre-back Rolando knocked it in with his knee from close range. Sporting were not getting anywhere near the Porto goal, but on 21 minutes they did not have to: Moutinho rolled the ball to his right and Russian midfielder Izmailov sent his swerving shot into the top right-hand corner of the net from 30 metres. The draw was a false reflection of what was going on on the pitch, and on 33 minutes, Falcao corrected that impression, sending a low shot in past Patrício's left hand from just outside the box. And on 41 minutes, Falcao headed in a Rúben Micael cross from the left to make it 3-1 going into the break.

Porto took their foot off the pedal a little in the second half, encouraged by "olés" from the Dragão crowd of 36,000, but not before they had made it 4-1 on 47 minutes, Mariano putting a perfect through ball to Varela who took it in his stride, slipped past Grimi and squeezed his shot in off the opposite post. Sporting were beginning to react, albeit meekly, when on 56 minutes, Mariano sent a swerving shot past Patrício from way out on the left. At 5-1, Sporting could only hope to limit the damage, and they plugged gamely away until they got a consolation two minutes into added time, Grimi crossing to the back post for Liedson to volley low and in. To complete Sporting's humiliation, the goal brought ironic cheers from the Porto crowd; it had been that kind of game.

FC Porto: Beto, Fucile, Rolando, Maicon, Álvaro Pereira, Fernando, Belluschi (Tomás Costa 72), Ruben Micael (Valeri 76), Mariano, Varela, Falcao (Orlando Sá 76).

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Grimi, Tonel, Daniel Carriço, João Pereira, Adrien (Matías Fernández 40), Miguel Veloso, João Moutinho, Izmailov (Pereirinha 78), Saleiro (Pongolle 46), Liedson.


FC Porto have drawn Sporting in the quarter-finals of the Taça de Portugal, to be played on or around 3 February.

The draw:

FC Porto (L) - Sporting (L)
Sporting Braga (L) - Rio Ave (L)
Paços de Ferreira (L) – Desportivo das Chaves (LH)
Pinhalnovense (II) - Naval (L)

(L = Liga; LH = Liga de Honra/second tier; II = Segunda Divisão/third tier)


Desportivo das Chaves beat Beira-Mar 1-0 on Sunday to reach the quarter-finals of the Taça de Portugal. Rui Varela missed a penalty for Beira-Mar on the half hour, and three minutes later, Senegalese forward Mbaye Diop got what was to prove the winner.


FC Porto beat Oliveirense, of the third tier, 2-0 on Saturday to take them into the last 16. The game had been postponed because of the state of Oliveirense's pitch and in the end it was played at Águeda.

Raul Meireles gave Porto the lead two minutes before the break, knocking a ball into the heart of the defence and following up to finish off. Central defender Rolando tapped in the second on 64 after Bruno Alves had headed goalwards. On 72 minutes, Orlando Sá, returning to the Porto side after injury, was fouled in the box (Laranjeiro was sent off) but allowed Marco to save his weak spot kick.

Oliveirense: Marco, Pedro Queirós, Laranjeira, Banjal, Chico Silva, João Pedro, Magano, Godinho, Robson (Hugo Moreira 69), Bafode (Pascal 34), Cícero (Jorge Humberto 74).

FC Porto: Beto, Fucile, Rolando, Bruno Alves, Álvaro Pereira, Belluschi, Fernando, Raul Meireles (Tomás Costa 74), Varela (Mariano 76), Orlando Sá (Yero 81), Rodriguez.

Porto travel to Belenenses in the next round, to be played on 20 January.


The draw was made on Monday for the fifth round of the Taça de Portugal. Holders FC Porto will be at Belenenses, if they get past Oliveirense in their postponed match from the fourth round (to be played in Águeda on 2 January). Last year's beaten finalists Paços de Ferreira travel to Nacional. Top of the Liga Sporting Braga travel to second-tier Freamunde. Sporting will be at home to Segunda Divisão (third tier) side Mafra.

The draw:

Belenenses v Oliveirense (Liga de Honra)/FC Porto
Rio Ave v Vitória de Guimarães
Desportivo de Chaves (
Liga de Honra) v Beira-Mar (Liga de Honra)
Aliados de Lordelo (II
Divisão) v Naval
Sporting v Mafra (II
Camacha (II
Divisão) v Pinhalnovense (II Divisão)
Nacional v Paços de Ferreira
Freamunde (
Liga de Honra) v Sporting Braga


Benfica are out of the Taça de Portugal after losing their fourth round tie 0-1 to Vitória de Guimarães at the Luz on Sunday. Vitória were very well organised, playing a blanket defence but breaking well throughout, notably through Targino and Desmarets, supported by Nuno Assis. Benfica were off colour, missing their giant centre-forward and top scorer Óscar Cardozo. Benfica did have a series of chances but were either wayward in their shooting or thwarted by the excellent Nilson. Vitória got the only goal on 25 minutes from a corner by Desmarets, Gustavo Lazaretti beating his marker Javi Garcia to head in. Desmarets was sent off for a second yellow in added time.

Benfica: Moreira, Ruben Amorim (Felipe Menezes 84), David Luiz, Sidnei, Coentrão, Di María, Javi García, Aimar (Weldon 67), Ramires, Saviola, Keirrisson (Nuno Gomes 79).

Vitória de Guimarães: Nilson, Andrezinho, Gustavo, Moreno, Sereno (Milhazes 69), João Alves (Douglas 89), Custódio (Alex 77), Flávio Meireles, Desmarets, Targino, Nuno Assis.

Benfica's Lisbon neighbours
Sporting went through in new coach Carlos Carvalhal's first game in charge. They were one down at half-time, however, to third division (fourth tier) side Pescadores da Costa de Caparica at Belenenses Restelo stadium, loaned for the tie. Pescadores' best player Tozé put them in front on 22 minutes and they kept the lead until the 52nd when Miguel Veloso curled in a free-kick. Five minutes later, it was as good as over when Sporting went in front through João Moutinho with a penalty. Pescadores were starting to tire at this point, and Sporting more or less strolled the rest of the game, with Miguel Veloso getting a second on 63 and Liedson finishing off the score on 68. Tonel brought down Tozé on 71 minutes to see a second yellow and the consequent red; he misses next Saturday's Liga derby against Benfica.

Pescadores da Costa de Caparica: Nuno Madureira, Ricardo Aires, Adérito, Pina, Miguel Silva, Mário Jorge, França (Tiago Cerqueira 64), Luís Costa (Carlos Carreira 81), Paulo Bolonha (Sérgio 58), Tozé, Djão.

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel, Tonel, Polga, Grimi (Miguel Veloso 46), Pereirinha, João Moutinho, Miguel Veloso, Matias Fernandez, Liedson (Saleiro 69), Vukcevic (Caneira 73).

Sporting Braga beat Vitória de Setúbal 3-0 at home with goals from three Ms: Meyong scored from the spot on 35 minutes, while Mossoró added one on 70 and Moisés finished it all off on 75.

Sporting de Braga: Kieszek, João Pereira, Moisés, Rodriguez, Evaldo, Vandinho (Madrid 77), Hugo Viana, Mossoró, Alan, Paulo César (Adriano 72), Meyong (Matheus 68).

Vitória de Setúbal: Mário Felgueiras, Zarabi (Brigues 46), Zoro, André Pinto, Rúben Lima, Djikiné, Hélder Barbosa (Lourenço 46), Sandro, Regula (Vasco Varão 58), Luís Carlos, Keita.

Nacional beat Fátima of the Liga de Honra (second tier) but only on penalties. Fátima came close to taking the lead from the spot on 34 minutes, but Nuno Sousa failed to punish Nacional. The minnows were then reduced to ten men from the 77th minutes when João Pereira was sent off. The game remained at 0-0 even after extra time, but the penalties went 4-3 Nacional's way.

Naval were two down against Liga de Honra side Gil Vicente through goals by Rui Pedro on 41 minutes and a second from Duarte on 79, despite Gil being down to ten from 77 minutes after Pedro Moreira was sent off. But on the stroke of time Kerrouche pulled one back, and then as added time was petering out, central defender Diego Ângelo equalised. Naval's Ouattara was sent off, making it ten against ten, but it was the Liga team that proved the stronger, and sub Michel Simplício got the winner before it could go to penalties.

The goalkeepers had to take penalties in the Tirsense v Paços de Ferreira tie. The game had finished 0-0 after extra time, and all the outfield players had taken their kicks, leaving the score at 9-9. Tirsense 'keeper Pedro Albergaria missed his, Cássio scored his to make it 9-10, and Paços were through.

Central defender Gaspar's header 15 minutes from time took Rio Ave through at the expense of Liga de Honra side Santa Clara.

Belenenses go into the last 16 after beating Valenciano of the third division (fourth tier) 1-0 with a goal from veteran central defender Beto on eight minutes. Valenciano's coach and president resigned after the game.

There were some giant-killing stories:

Aliados de Lordelo, of the second division (third tier) beat out of form Leixões 1-0 with a goal from Fernandes on 41 minutes. The police were called upon at the end to calm the disguntled Leixões fans.

Éder put Académica in front on 17 minutes at Beira-Mar of the Liga de Honra, but Fangueiro levelled the score on 63. That is how it remained until the end of extra time, but Beira-Mar proved more efficient at penalties, winning the 'lottery' 4-2.

Freamunde of the Liga de Honra and União de Leiria drew 2-2 in normal time. Cascavel put the home side in front on 35 minutes, but Ronny and Elias gave União the lead in a two-minute spell around the 70 minute mark. Bertinho saved Freamunde three minutes from time, extra time brought no change, and the second-tier team won 5-4 on penalties.

Other clubs through are Mafra, Desportivo de Chaves, Pinhalnovense and Camacha. Saturday's game between Oliveirense and FC Porto was called off just before kick-off by the referee because of the state of the pitch.

Results of the fourth round:

(Sunday, 22 Nov):
Valenciano (III) - Belenenses (L), 0-1
Mafra (II) - União da Madeira (II), 1-1 (1-1 aet, 3-2 pens)
Desportivo de Chaves (LH) - União da Serra (II), 2-0
Oeiras (III) -
Pinhalnovense (II), 1-2
Camacha (II) - Vigor Mocidade (III), 1-0
Académica (L) -
Beira Mar (LH), 1-1 (1-1 aet, 2-4 pens)
Freamunde (LH) - União de Leiria (L), 2-2 (2-2 aet, 5-4 pens)
Tirsense (II) -
Paços de Ferreira (L), 0-0 (0-0 aet, 9-10 pens)
Aliados de Lordelo (II) - Leixões (L), 1-0
Rio Ave (L) - Santa Clara (LH), 1-0
Nacional (L) - Fátima (LH), 0-0 (0-0 aet, 4-3 pens)
Naval (L) - Gil Vicente (LH), 2-2 (3-2 aet)
Pescadores Costa Caparica (III) -
Sporting (L), 1-4
Sporting Braga (L) – Vitória de Setúbal (L), 3-0
Benfica (L) –
Vitória de Guimarães (L), 0-1

(Saturday, 21 Nov):
Oliveirense (LH) - FC Porto (L), postponed


Sporting made hard work of it but came through the third round of the Taça de Portugal on Sunday, beating Penafiel of the Liga de Honra (second tier) 3-0. The nearest Sporting came to scoring in the first half was from a Miguel Veloso free-kick from deep that hit the bar, but it was not until early in the second half that they could break the deadlock: on 51 minutes, Wagner lost the ball on the edge of the area, and Liedson turned the sniff of a goal into the real article from 20 metres. On 73, Costa handled in the area, Moutinho hitting the spot kick against the underside of the bar and in. It was the death knell for Penfiel's aspirations, and just to rub it in, Vukcevic got anther in added time.

Sporting: Tiago, Abel, Tonel, Carriço, Grimi (Adrien 45), Miguel Veloso, Angulo (Pereirinha 71), Vukcevic, João Moutinho, Liedson, Saleiro.

Penafiel: Willian, Alex Garcia, Costa, Wagner, Zé Nando, Rafa, Hugo Soares, Vítor, Guedes, Kanu, Michel (Larry 70).

Of the other third round games on Sunday, the biggest shock was Santa Clara, of the Azores and the Liga de Honra, beating top flight side Marítimo, of Madeira, 2-1.

Sunday's results:

I = Primeria Liga

LH = Liga de Honra (second tier)

II = Segunda Divisão (third tier)

III = Terceira Divisão (fourth tier)

Académica (I) - Portimonense (LH), 2-1
Paços de Ferreira (I) - Aljustrelense (II), 3-1
Leixões (I) - Casa Pia (III), 2-1
Merelinense (II) –
União de Leiria (I), 1-2
Belenenses (I) - Oriental (II), 3-1
Atlético (II) –
Vitória de Setúbal (I), 0-2
Leça (III) –
Desportivo de Chaves (LH), 0-3
Beira-Mar (LH) - Torre de Moncorvo (III), 4-0
Oeiras (III) - Operário (II), 6-1
Tirsense (II) - Oliveira do Bairro (II), 1-0
Tondela (II) -
Oliveirense (LH), 1-2
União da Serra (II) - Coimbrões (III), 3-2
Freamunde (LH) - Carregado (LH), 3-0
Naval (I) - Padroense (II), 0-0 (1-0, aet)
Santa Clara (LH) - Marítimo (I), 2-1
V. Guimarães (I) - Feirense (LH), 3-1
Rio Ave (I) - Esmoriz (II), 2-1
Aliados Lordelo (II) - Machico (III), 0-0 (2-0, aet)
Cinfães (III) -
Pescadores (III), 1-1 (1-1, aet, 1-3, on pens)
Sintrense (III) -
Pinhalnovense (II) , 0-0 (0-0, aet, 2-3 on pens)
Fátima (LH) - Vila Meã (III), 3-0
Gil Vicente (LH) - Nelas (III), 6-1
União da Madeira (II) - Alcains (III), 2-0
Cruzado Canicence (III) -
Vigor Mocidade (III), 1-4
Camacha (II) - Paredes (II), 3-1

Tie outstanding from the 2nd Round:
Odivelas (II) -
Mafra (II), 1-2

The fourth round will be played on 21-22 November, the date of the draw yet to be announced.


The cup-holders FC Porto had a relatively easy time of their Taça tie against Sertanense on Saturday. They were one up within five minutes, Hulk curling in a free kick from 25 metres. Then on eight minutes, Renato stopped a goal-bound shot from Farias with his arm, was sent off and Farias scored from the spot. Down to ten men, it was very unlikely that Sertanense were going to pull it back, and a second goal by Farias five minutes from half time, a neat flick at the near post from a Mariano cross, put the result beyond doubt. The Segunda Divisão (third tier) side suffered a further setback on 73 minutes when Idris was sent off for pulling down Hulk, who was through on goal. And Hulk it was who got the fourth on 86 minutes, clipping home a back-heeled pass from 17-year old Sérgio Oliveira – the youngest player ever to represent Porto.

FC Porto: Beto, Fernando, Maicon, Nuno André Coelho, Mariano (Alex 69), Prediger, Valeri, Sérgio Oliveira, Hulk, Farias (Yero 45), Rodriguez (Dias 60).

Sertanense: Paulo Salgado, Renato, Flávio Dias, Leo Bahia, Hugo Ventosa, Leandro, Filipe Avelar, Rui César (Adérito 69), João Frazão (Idris 45), João Boiças (Grou 60), Platini.

It was the third consecutive season that Porto have faced Sertanense, and the third time they have won by the same score – 4-0. In all three games, Ernesto Farias has scored two goals.

Benfica trounced Segunda Divisão Monsanto 6-0 in Torres Novas. Benfica met with some resistance in the first half, the only goal coming from Felipe Menezes after a neat dribble in from the right. But in the second half, the flood gates opened and Benfica scored five more, two from Carlos Martins (the second a volley from the edge of the box after a Filipe Menezes set-up), a header from Saviola, a free kick from César Peixoto and finally a header from Fábio Coentrão in added time.

Monsanto: René, Ruas, Filipe, Bá, Ito, Bruno Matos, João Martins, Gutty (Bruno 62), Dani, Jamerson (Júlio 81), Carlitos (Alex 62).

Benfica: Moreira, César Peixoto, David Luiz, Sidnei, Ruben Amorim, Javi Garcia, Fábio Coentrão, Felipe Menezes (Saviola 62), Carlos Martins, Nuno Gomes (Mantorras 68), Weldon (Miguel Vítor 75).

The shock of the day was third division (fourth tier) side Valenciano beating top flight Olhanense. Messi put the Algarve side in front from the spot at the end of the first half, but Hélder put Valenciano level ten minutes into the second half. It went to extra time, and when there was no change in the score, penalties, which the team from Valença won 4-2.

Top of the Liga Sporting Braga had a hard time of it at Sporting de Covilhã of the second tier and only avoided extra-time in the last minute of the game, Matheus avoiding any blushes.

At home against
Nacional, Varzim of the second tier wasted a penalty on five minutes – Bracali saved from Bruno Moreira – but took the lead on ten through Gonçalo Abreu. Ruben Micael equalised on 69 minutes and three minutes later, Pecnik gave the Madeiran side a lead that they did not squander.

Saturday's results:

Valenciano (III) - Olhanense (I), 1-1 (1-1 aet., 4-2 on penalties)
Varzim (LH)* -
Nacional (I), 1-2
Sporting Covilhã (LH) -
Sporting Braga (I), 0-1
Monsanto (II) -
Benfica (I), 0-6
FC Porto (I) - Sertanense (II), 4-0

*LH = Liga de Honra (second tier)


There were some upsets in the second round of the Taça de Portugal at the weekend. Trofense of the Liga de Honra (second tier) were beaten at home by Paredes of the second division (third tier), Vila Meã of the third division (fourth tier) beat Desportivo das Aves of the Liga de Honra, and Estoril of the Liga de Honra lost at home to Esmoriz of the second division.

Ties between clubs of the
Liga de Honra (IIL) and the second division (II):
Marinhense (II) -
Feirense (IIL), 0-4
Trofense (IIL) -
Paredes (II), 1-3
Beira-Mar (IIL) - Vizela (II), 2-0
Praiense (II) -
Varzim (IIL), 0-1
Portimonense (IIL) - Real Massamá (II), 2-2 aet (4-3 pens)
Estoril (IIL) -
Esmoriz (II), 3-3 aet (3-4 pens)

Ties between clubs of the
Liga de Honra (IIL) and the third division (III):
Candal (III) -
Oliveirense (IIL), 0-4
Desportivo de Chaves (IIL) - Amares (III), 2-0
Morais (III) -
Sporting da Covilhã (IIL), 0-5
Mangualde (III) -
Freamunde (IIL), 1-2
Penafiel (IIL) - AD Oliveirense (III), 3-1 aet
Vila Meã (III) - Desportivo das Aves (IIL), 2-0
Fátima (IIL) - Ribeira Brava (III), 3-0
Gil Vicente (IIL) - Macedo de Cavaleiros (III), 2-0
Santa Clara (IIL) - Rebordosa (III), 1-0
Maria da Fonte (III) -
Carregado (IIL), 0-5

Ties between clubs of the second division:
Odivelas (II) - Mafra (II) or Estrela da Amadora (II), postponed
União da Serra (II) - Arouca (II), 1-0.
Oriental (II) - Eléctrico (II), 3-1.
Santana (II) -
Camacha (II), 2-5

Ties between clubs of the second division (II) and the third division (III):
Tirsense (II) - Oliveira do Douro (III), 4-1
Tondela (II) - Andorinha (III), 6-1
Atlético (II) - Fabril do Barreiro (III), 1-0
Padroense (II) - Alcochetense (III), 4-3
Oliveira do Bairro (II) - Esperança de Lagos (III), 4-3 aet
Meda (III) -
Monsanto (II), 0-1
Oeiras (III) - Tourizense (II), 3-1
Aljustrelense (II) - Juventude de Évora (III), 2-1

Milheioeirense (III) - Merelinense (II), 1-3
Operário (II) - Benfica Castelo Branco (III), 2-1
Caniçal (III) -
Vieira (II), 0-4
União da Madeira (II) - Sp. Espinho (II), 3-2 aet
Aliados Lordelo (II) - 1.º Dezembro (III), 2-1 aet
Pinhalnovense (II) - Moreirense (II), 0-0 aet (4-2 pens)
Sertanense (II) - Gondomar (II), 1-1 aet (6-5 pens)

Ties between clubs of the third division (III):
Casa Pia (III) - Lusitânia dos Açores (III), 1-0
Peniche (III) -
Vigor da Mocidade (III), 0-1
Mirandela (III) -
Cinfães (III), 3-4
Sintrense (III) - Fão (III), 0-0 aet (5-4 pens)
Torre de Moncorvo (III) - Lusitano de Évora (III), 2-1
Pescadores (III) - Atlético do Tojal (III), 3-0
Coimbrões (III) - Quarteirense (III), 1-0
Machico (III) - Torreense (III), 2-0
Alcains (III) - Farense (III), 3-0
Fiães (III) -
Leça (III), 0-0 aet (2-3 pens)
Valenciano (III) - Fornos de Algodres (III), 3-2
Nelas (III) - São João de Ver (III), 0-0 aet (4-2 pens)
Cruzado Canicence (III) - Estrela da Calheta (III), 1-0 aet


The draw was made on Monday for the first round of the Taça de Portugal, to be played on 30 August. Twenty of the 140 clubs involved from the second and third divisions have byes.

Lusitânia dos Açores
Atlético do Tojal
Mineiro Aljustrelense
Operário dos Açores
1º Dezembro
Aliados do Lordelo
Oliveira do Douro
Estrela Calheta

First Round
Espinho - Bragança
Morais - Olivais e Moscavide
Penalva do Castelo - Merelinense
Peniche - Vianense
Tourizense - Moura
Sanjoanense - Pinhalnovense
Pampilhosa - Vizela
Gondomar - Igreja Nova
'Os Limianos' - Sintrense
Canicense - Porto Moniz
Castrense - Amares
Praiense - Caldas
Ribeirão - Lusitano de Évora
Vila Meã - Sourense
Rabo de Peixe - Mirandela
Esperança de Lagos - Santiago
Santana - Porto Cruz
Lagoa - Atlético
Madalena - Odivelas
Capelense - Fabril do Barreiro
Portomosense - Juventudo de Évora
Vieira - União de Montemor
Montalegre - Fornos de Algodres
SL Nelas - Anadia
Farense - Vitória do Pico
Flamengos - Oeiras
Padroense - Marinhas
Infesta - Rebordosa
Académico de Viseu - Benfica e Castelo Branco
Macedo de Cavaleiros - Lusitânia de Lourosa
Quarteirense - Cova da Piedade
Beira-Mar de Monte Gordo - Torre de Moncorvo
Pescadores - Boavista
Mafra - Estrela da Amadora
Real - Famalicão
Joane - Fão
Marinhense - Serzedelo
Monsanto - Avanca
Oliveira do Bairro - Pontassolense
Arouca - Angrense
Tondela - Amarante
AD Oliveirense - Barreiro
Casa Pia - Gândara
1º de Maio - Moreirense
Paredes - Atlético de Reguengos
Atlético de Valdevez - Leça
Pombal - Cinfães
Ribeira Brava - Fafe
Valenciano - Portosantense
Eléctrico - Cesarense
Penemacorense - São João de Ver
Caniçal - Tocha
Câmara de Lobos - Oriental
União da Madeira - Boavista de São Mateus
Pedrouços - Maria da Fonte
União da Serra - Santa Maria
Torreense - Louletano
Milheiroense - Lousada
Fiães - União Micaelense
'Os Gavionenses' - Vigor da Mocidade


[fp home] [liga] [taças] [europe] [seleção] [articles] [various] [archive] [various (archive)] [news (archive)] [news] [calendar 2014/15] [contacts/ links] [about fp]