taça de portugal -  2007/08



Sporting won their 15th Taça on Sunday, beating FC Porto (13 Taças) 2-0 in added time in front of 37,000 at the National Stadium. It was a relatively even game throughout, with a slight advantage to Sporting, Nuno stopping them on three or four occasions with excellent saves. He didn't stop a first half strike from Romagnoli, but the goal was disallowed for a dubious offside. Porto were reduced to ten men 20 minutes from time, João Paulo walking for a two-footed lunge at João Moutinho, but Porto held Sporting off to take the game to extra time. Bruno Alves and Quaresma had a chance to give Porto the lead, but it was Tiuí, on as sub on 90 minutes, who destroyed Porto's dreams on 110 and 117 minutes, the second a neat overhead kick from close range. After the first goal went in, it started raining heavily in Jamor, and the Porto fans, who had supported their team magnificently, began to troop away.

The teams lined up:

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel (Tiuí 91), Tonel, Polga, Grimi, Miguel Veloso, João Moutinho, Izmailov (Pereirinha 75), Romagnoli, Derlei (Gladstone 118), Yannick.

FC Porto: Nuno, João Paulo, Bruno Alves, Pedro Emanuel, Fucile, Lucho, Paulo Assunção (Tarik 112), Raúl Meireles (Kazmierczak 103), Mariano González (Lino 78), Quares, Lisandro.

After the game there were thousands of Sporting fans at the traditional place of celebration in Lisbon, Marques de Pombal roundabout, and at Sporting's Alvalade Stadium.


Right back Bosingwa, recently signed by Chelsea, has been left out of FC Porto's squad to face Sporting in the Final of the Taça de Portugal on Sunday. Also out is goalkeeper Hélton, injured.

Porto's squad:

Goalkeepers: Nuno and Ventura.

Defenders: Fucile, Bruno Alves, Pedro Emanuel, Stepanov, João Paulo and Lino.

Midfielders: Paulo Assunção, Kazmierczak, Lucho González, Raul Meireles, Bolatti and Mariano.

Forwards: Quaresma, Farías, Hélder Barbosa, Lisandro and Tarik Sektioui.

There will be 700 police officers on duty at Sunday's Final.

FC Porto made their way to the Final thus:

Fourth round
7 December 2007
Desportivo de Chaves (II)-F.C. Porto, 0-2
(Postiga, 53; Adriano, 90)

Fifth round
19 January 2008
F.C. Porto-Desportivo das Aves (Liga Vitalis), 2-0
(Farías, 31; Quaresma, 90)

Sixth round
10 February
Sertanense (III)-F.C. Porto, 0-4
(Sektioui, 7; Farias, 36, 49; Kazmierczak, 45)

Quarter Final
27 February
F.C. Porto-Gil Vicente (Liga Vitalis), 1-0
(Tarik Sektioui, 23)

15 April
Vitória de Setúbal-F.C. Porto, 0-3
(Jorginho 27 p.b.; Lucho Gonzalez, 51, 60)

Sporting thus:

Fourth round
8 December 2007
Sporting-Louletano (II), 4-0
(Purovic 4, 36; Vukcevic 77; Izmailov 84)

Fifth round
19 January 2008
Sporting-Lagoa (II), 4-0
(João Moutinho, 8; Abel, 57; Tero, 72 p.b., Gladstone, 88)

Sixth round
9 February
Sporting-Marítimo, 2-1
(Tonel, 5; Liedson, 43) (Van der Linden, 38)

Quarter Final
27 February
Sporting-Estrela da Amadora, 1-0
(Purovic, 90)

16 April
Sporting-Benfica, 5-3
(Yannic Djaló, 68, 85; Liedson, 76; Derlei, 79; Vukcevic, 90) (Rui Costa, 19; Nuno Gomes, 31; Cristian Rodríguez, 83m)


In a thrilling Taça de Portugal semi-final at Alvalade, Sporting came through to beat Lisbon rivals Benfica 5-3 and qualify to meet FC Porto at the National Stadium on 18 May. It was a game of two halves, an exuberant Benfica putting in one of their best displays of the season to go 2-0 up by half time through Rui Costa and Nuno Gomes. Sporting's lacklustre first-half display was the subject of stern words in the dressing room, and they came out all guns blazing for the second half. Yannick on 67 and Liedson on 75 brought Sporting level, and Derlei, who had come on a sub on 62 minutes for his first game in seven and a half months after injury, put Sporting in front for the first time in the game on 79. It took Benfica just three minutes to draw back level through Cristian Rodriguez, and it took Sporting just a minute after that to re-gain the lead through Yannick. Benfica piled on the pressure to find a way back, but it was Sporting who went further ahead on the stroke of time with the best goal of the game. Miguel Veloso crossed from way out on the right and the ball fell for Vukcevic on the edge of the left-hand-side of the area, his sweetly-struck first-time volley crossing Quim to find the bottom right-hand corner of the net; an exquisite end to a classic clássico. Benfica could now be left with nothing at all to show in what has been a chaotic season for them.

The teams lined up.

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel, Tonel, Miguel Veloso, Grimi, Adrien (Izmailov 33), João Moutinho, Romagnoli (Derlei 62), Vukcevic, Liedson, Yannick (Gladstone 86).

Benfica: Quim, Nélson, Luisão, Katsouranis, Léo, Petit (Cardozo 85), Maxi Pereira, Rui Costa, Cristian Rodriguez, Di Maria (Sepsi 65), Nuno Gomes.


FC Porto cruised into the Final of the Taça de Portugal Tuesday with a masterful performance to beat disappointing Vitória de Setúbal 3-0 at the Bonfim. Vitória started well, but Porto were soon in charge and went ahead on 37 minutes, Jorginho putting through his own goal from a Sektioui corner. It was all done and dusted five monutes into the second half, Sektioui making the line and crossing for Lucho González to score from close range, with Eduardo partly at fault. The same Lucho was given all the time in the world on the hour to pick his spot and, from the edge of the area, place the ball beyond Eduardo's right hand for Porto's third. Vitória coach Carlos Carvalhal was sent off at half time for words to the ref in the tunnel.

The teams lined up:

Vitória de Setúbal: Eduardo, Janício, Robson, Auri, Jorginho, EliasSandro, Ricardo Chaves (Filipe Gonçalves 57), Leandro Branco (Bruno Severino 57), Pitbull, Bruno Gama (Paulo Roberto 73).

FC Porto: Nuno, Bosingwa, Pedro Emanuel, Bruno Alves, Fucile, Lucho Gonzalez, Paulo Assunção (João Paulo 82), Raul Meireles, Tarik Sektioui (Farías 74), Lisandro Lopez, Ricardo Quaresma (Mariano Gonzalez 79).

In what will be veteran coach Jesualdo Ferreira's first Final, Porto now face either
Sporting or Benfica, who meet at Alvalade in the other semi-final on Wednesday. Six hundred police officers have been assigned to the high-risk game; nine thousand Benfica fans are expected.

Porto are now in the running for the double: League title and Cup. It would be their sixth after 2005/06, 2002/03, 1997/98, 1987/88 and 1955/56. They have 13 Taças from 24 Finals.


The quarter-finals of the Taça all went to form Wednesday, with the Big Three plus in-form Vitória de Setúbal making it into the semi-finals.

FC Porto did not have it all their own way at home to Liga de Honra side Gil Vicente, but a lost ball in midfield by Gil on 23 minutes saw the ball making its way out to Tarik on the right who took it on and beat Paulo Jorge at his near post for a 1-0 win.

The teams lined up:

FC Porto: Nuno, Bosingwa, João Paulo, Stepanov, Lino, Mariano, Paulo Assunção, Kazmierczak; Tarik (Lucho 46), Farías (Adriano 72), Hélder Barbosa (Lisandro 57)

Gil Vicente: Paulo Jorge, Paulo Arantes, Pedro Ribeiro, Diego Gaúcho, João Pedro, Filipe Fernandes, João Vilela (Bruno Filipe 71), Zongo (Tiago André 58), Luís Miguel (Luís Coentrão 46), Hermes, Maciel.

Benfica left it until the second half at home to Moreirense of the Second Division, but then goals by subs Rui Costa (69 minutes) and Makukula (87) brought relief for the suffering Benfica fans.

The teams lined up:

Benfica: Butt, Luís Filipe (Rui Costa 55), Edcarlos, Zoro, Sepsi, Maxi Pereira, Bynia, Di María; Nuno Assis, Cardozo (Mantorras 74), Freddy Adu (Makukula 55)

Moreirense: Rui Marcos, Tiago Lopes, João Duarte, Hélio, Serafim, Bino, César Marques (Cascavel 78), Rui Borges (Marquinho 83), Nuno Fonseca (Jonas 74), Luisinho, Quim

Sporting put in a pale performance at home to Estrela da Amadora, and with Estrela defending well and only attacking on the break, it was not until two minutes from time that Sporting scored to save themselves from a potentially tiring extra 30 minutes ahead of next weekend's Lisbon derby: Sub Izmailov crossed for another sub, Purovic, to shoot against the body of Pedro Alves, but the ball bounced up, Moreno nodded at it and it bounced off Purovic's head and in. A comical but valuable goal for the home side.

The teams lined up:

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel (Izmailov 51), Tonel, Polga, Ronny (Grimi 76), Miguel Veloso, Pereirinha, Romagnoli, João Moutinho, Liedson (Purovic 53), Tiuí.

Estrela da Amadora: Pedro Alves, Rui Duarte, Maurício, Hugo Carreira, Hélder Cabral (Pedro Pereira 37), Fernando, Celestino, Vítor Moreno, Mateus (Marco Paulo 75), Mendonça, Nuno Viveiros (Giancarlo 64).

The first team to qualify was Vitória de Setúbal at Naval, with a 15.00 kick off attracting now more than a couple of hundred to the 1º de Maio stadium. The game was decided in a ten-minute period in the second half. Sub Leandro Branco put Vitória in front on the hour, Paulão equalised four minutes later and Robson got the winner four minutes after that.

The teams lined up:

Naval: Taborda, Mário Sérgio (João Ribeiro 65), Paulão, Diego, China, Godemeche, Gilmar (Elivelton 65), Saulo, Davide (Dudu 75), Marinho, Marcelinho.

Vitória de Setúbal: Eduardo, Janício, Robson, Auri, Jorginho, Elias, Sandro, Ricardo Chaves (Filipe Gonçalves 83), Bruno Ribeiro (Bruno Gama 46), Cláudio Pitbull, Paulinho (Leandro Branco 46).


The draw took place Tuesday for the quarter-finals of the Taça de Portugal, to be played on or around 27 February; the Big Three avoid each other and all play at home. The only non-top-tier side left in the Taça, Moreirense of the Liga de Honra, travel to Benfica. The draw:

F.C. Porto v Gil Vicente
Benfica v Moreirense
Sporting v Estrela da Amadora
Naval v Vitória de Setúbal


FC Porto travelled to third division (fourth tier) side Sertanense and dispatched them with little trouble, 4-0. Tarik, back from the African Cup of Nations, opened the scoring on seven minutes, with Farias extending the score on 36. Polish midfielder Kazmierczak cracked home a superb shot from a full 25 metres on the stroke of half time to put the game beyond plucky Sertanenses' reach, but Farias made sure four minutes into the second half.

Sertanense: Leo Flores, Pedro Miguel, Anderson, Facucho (Bruno Xavier 46), Américo, Britto, Leandro, Filipe Avelar (Daniel 65), Zâmbia, Vicente, Hygor (Marco Farinha 55).

FC Porto: Nuno, João Paulo, Pedro Emanuel (Castro 60), Stepanov, Lino, Paulo Assunção, Raul Meireles (Hélder Barbosa 66), Kazmierczak, Mariano González, Farías (Rabiola 73), Tarik Sektioui.

Benfica are through to the last eight as well, beating Paços de Ferreira 4-1 at the Luz. Paços were in front on two minutes, Pedreirinha comfortably placing his close range shot with the Benfica defence all at sea. On 34 minutes, Camacho took off the disastrous Edcarlos and replaced him with striker Cardozo, and the tide turned. The Paraguayan scored from the spot on 42 and 52 minutes (the first one for a dubious foul on Cristian Rodríguez) and Rui Costa and Nuno Assis added two in the second half to send the 14,500 at the Luz home relatively happy. Paços' Tiago de Valente was sent off on 51 minutes.

The teams lined up:

Benfica: Butt, Nélson, Luisão, Edcarlos (Cardozo 34), Léo, Maxi Pereira, Katsouranis, Nuno Assis, Rui Costa (David Luiz 90), Rodríguez, Makukula (Di María 86).

Paços de Ferreira: Peçanha, Ferreira, Rovérsio, Tiago Valente, Valdir, Paulo Sousa, Filipe Anunciação, Pedrinha, Wesley (Dedé 83), Ricardinho (Furtado 79), Cristiano (Edson 57).

Other results:

Vitória de Setúbal 1-1 Vitória de Guimarães (4-1 on penalties)
Gil Vicente 1-0 Leixões (1-0 after extra time)
Naval 1-1 Rio Ave (3-1 after extra time)
Atl. Valdevez 0-3


Sporting are through to the quarter-finals of the Taça de Portugal after beating Marítimo 2-1 at Alvalade Saturday. It was all decided in the first half: Tonel headed in a Vukcevic corner on five minutes, Van Linden knocked in a loose ball from point blank range to equalise on 38, and Liedson headed in the winner from a cross by full back Grimi (making his début) two minutes from half time. It was a good result but far from a convincing performance by Sporting in front of just 9,500 fans.

The teams lined up:

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel, Tonel, Polga, Grimi, Adrien (Miguel Veloso 32), João Moutinho, Vukcevic, Celsinho (Pereirinha 60), Tiuí (Romagnoli 80), Liedson

Marítimo: Marcos, Ricardo Esteves (Briguel 48), Ediglê, Van der Linden, Evaldo, João Luiz, Bruno, Mossoró, Marcinho, Fábio Felício (Djalma 46), André Pinto (Anderson 70)


FC Porto will play Sertanense in the next round of the Taça at the third division (fourth tier) club's ground on 10 February at 15.30. There were discussions to move the game elsewhere, but the sides finally agreed that the game could go ahead as drawn.


Third division (fourth tier) club Sertanense have drawn the mighty FC Porto in the last 14 (15) of the Taça de Portugal. Benfica and Sporting will be at home to difficult Liga opposition, Paços de Ferreira and Marítimo respectively. the other standout game is the clash of the Vitórias: Setúbal at home to Guimarães. The games will be played on or around 10 February.

The full draw:

Sertanense (III) – FC Porto (L)
Sporting (L) – Marítimo (L) (09/02)
Vitória de Setúbal (L) – Vitória de Guimarães (L)
Benfica (L) – Paços de Ferreira (L)
Naval (L) – Rio Ave (LH)
Gil Vicente (LH) – Leixões (L)
Valdevez (II) – Moreirense (II)
Bye: Estrela da Amadora (L)


FC Porto are through to the last 16 (in fact 17 – one team will have a bye) of the Taça de Portugal by beating Liga de Honra (second tier) side Desportivo das Aves at home 2-0 . Farias put the Dragons one up on the hour, with Quaresma, on as sub but being jeered by the crowd, completing the score in added time.

The teams lined up:

FC PORTO: Nuno, Fucile, Stepanov, João Paulo, Lino, Lucho, Bolatti, Kazmierczak (Quaresma 60), Mariano (Cech 81), Adriano (Lisandro 73), Farías.

DESPORTIVO das AVES: Rafael, Grosso, Miguel Vítor, Sérgio Nunes, Pedro Geraldo, Marcelo Henrique (Robert 46), Mércio, Gouveia (Romeu 75), Castro (Pascal 46), Leandro, Leandro Tatu

Benfica are through after beating Liga de Honra side Feirense 1-0 the goal scored by Paraguayan striker Óscar Cardozo, on as sub at half-time, after 50 minutes following a defensive mix-up in the Feirense area. Feirense had over 5,000 fans at the Luz, but the attendance was only 15,000.

The teams lined up:

BENFICA: Butt, Luís Filipe, Luisão, Edcarlos, Nélson, Katsouranis, Rui Costa, Maxi Pereira (Cardozo 45), Di Maria (Adu 45), Nuno Assis, Nuno Gomes.

FEIRENSE: Hélder Godinho, Hernâni, Jorge Silva, Luciano, Serginho, Tales, Márcio (Denilson 83), Jorge Leitão, Gabi, Barge (André Soares (65), Hélder.

Sporting had the easiest time of the Big Three, beating Lagoa of the second division (third tier) 4-0 at Alvalade. The score was better than the performance as Sporting went in front on eight minutes, Moutinho beating Botelho with a delicate chip but only managed to extend their lead on 57 through full-back Abel. Tero put through his own goal on 72 after a mis-hit shot from Liedson, and central defender Gladstone made it four three minutes from time.

The teams lined up:

SPORTING: Stojkovic, Abel (Pereirinha 60), Polga, Gladstone, Ronny, Miguel Veloso, Izmailov (Romagnoli 46), Farnerud, Vukcevic (Celsinho 73), João Moutinho, Liedson

LAGOA: Botelho, André, Divaldo, Tero, Vandi, Bilro (Janita 60), Nelsinho, Márcio, Dário, Júlio, Sadjó (Boiças 67).

Of the other games, noteworthy was Estrela da Amadora's 1-0 win at home to Braga, Matheus from the spot, Naval's 4-1 trouncing of Boavista (who had been in the lead through Laionel but succumbed to goals from Saulo, Marcelinho, 2, and Dudu ) and the only third division (fourth tier) side left in the competition, Sertanense , winning at Liga de Honra club Penafiel on penalties after the game had finished 1-1.

Other results:

Oliveirense 0-1 Marítimo (Fogaça, 14)
Gil Vicente 3-0 Juventude Évora (Hermes, 5 and 15; Óscar, 58)
Vitória de Guimarães 1-0 Nacional (Flávio Meireles, 21)
Leixões 1-0 Anadia (Roberto, 74)
Rio Ave 3-3 Olhanense (2-1 on penalties) (Milhazes, 22; Chidi, 69; Keita, 98) (Sandro, 24; Toy, 80; Fumo, 108)
Paços Ferreira 4-0 Abrantes (Furtado, 16; Márcio Carioca, 21; Wesley, 62; Pedrinha, pen. 65)
Beira Mar 0-1
Moreirense (Cascavel, 53)
Vitória de Setúbal 1-0 U. Leiria (Matheus, 89)

The draw for the next round will be on Tuesday.


The Três Grandes were kept separated and got home draws against accessible clubs in the draw for the Fifth Round of the Taça made Wednesday. There are four games between teams from the top division: Vitória de Guimarães v Nacional, Vitória de Setúbal v União de Leiria, Estrela da Amadora v Sporting Braga and Naval v Boavista. The game are to be played on 20 January.

The draw:

(L = Liga - top tier; LH = Liga de Honra - second tier; II = Segunda Divisão - third tier; III = Terceira Divissão - fourth tier)

Sporting (L)-Lagoa (II)

FC Porto (L)-Desp. Aves (LH)

Leixões (L)-Anadia (II)

Oliveirense (II)-Marítimo (L)

Gil Vicente (LH)-Juventude Évora (II)

Benfica (L)-Feirense (LH)

Rio Ave (LH)-Olhanense (LH)

P. Ferreira (L)-Abrantes (II)

V. Guimarães (L)-Nacional (L)

Beira-Mar (LH)-Moreirense (II)

V. Setúbal (L)-U. Leiria (L)

E. Amadora (L)-Sp. Braga (L)

Naval (L)-Boavista (L)

Penafiel (LH)-Sertanense (III)

Bye: Atlético Valdevez (II)


Sporting went through to the 5th round of the Taça de Portugal Saturday with a clear 4-0 win over Algarve side Louletano at Alvalade. It was Sporting's first vitory in any competition in a month and came about with goals of an eastern European flavour: two from Purovic and one each from Vukcevic and Izmailov. The result did little to ease contestation of the team, the coach and the directors: they were all met with boos as they left the ground.

The teams lined up:

Sporting: Rui Patrício, Abel, Tonel, Polga, Ronny, João Moutinho, Miguel Veloso (Adrien Silva 62), Izmailov, Romagnoli (Farnerud 69), Vukcevic, Purovic (Paez 78).

Louletano: Dadinho, Caniggia, Pedro Pereira, Trindade (Della Pasqua 61), Jorge Soares, Dante, Alberto, Fábio Teixeira, Ricardo Costa, Tonanha, Devigor (Diamantino 83).

Belenenses and Paços de Ferreira drew 2-2, and it was Paços who go through on penalties. Paços were 2-0 up at one point, through Edson and Furtado each side of the break. João Paulo Oliveira, coming off the bench, scored twice to take the game to extra time, ana then penalties.

Nacional beat third division side Cova da Piedade 5-0 in Madeira. Marco Pinto put through his own goal on 21 minutes, and Ricardo Fernandes and Lipatin added two before the break. Captain Patacas made it four five minutes from time and then Lipatin got his second.

Leixões also cruised past second division side Torreense by four goals to nil. Paulo Machado started them off after eight minutes, but it was only in the second half that Leixões extended their lead, taking advantage of the sending-off of Serginho early on. Diogo Valente, Roberto and Ezequias then finished Torreense off.


The draw for the first round of the Taça de Portugal was made Thursday. This round involves only clubs from the Third Division (fourth tier). The games will be played on or around 2 September.


[fp home] [liga] [taças] [europe] [seleção] [articles] [various] [archive] [various (archive)] [news (archive)] [news] [calendar 2014/15] [contacts/ links] [about fp]